Has there ever been a place that you’ve REALLY want to go to, no matter the reason? Do you have the indescribable desire to seek out a specific adventure? We all thought of our big travel dreams and thought we’d share our goals. Where do you want to go in this crazy ole big world?
I tend to make good on my travel dreams, whether they’re moving to Japan (which I did straight out of college), seeing Stonehenge (check), or getting to be Indiana Jones (thank you archaeology degree that required me to do a dig in Israel!). But there’s some that have still evaded my grasp; some may never be possible (but hey, that’s what dreams are for, yeah?).
- Live in Kyoto for three months. I don’t know why three months is so stuck in my head, but it is. Maybe it’s also because that’s the visa free time limit… Kyoto is a beautiful city, it’s the cultural beating heart of Japan and despite having been there multiple times, I never get my fill. I’ve always wanted to live there, even when I DID live in Japan. One day I hope I can really understand Kyoto in all its ways.
- Write for 6 months in Venice. There are some places in the world that really do live up to their reputation. Venice was breathtakingly beautiful. I was astonished, and instantly enamoured. Being of italian heritage, it wasn’t hard to feel connected to Venice (even though my family is from Naples and Sicily). I was there for five glorious days and I easily could have stayed a lot longer. I found my muse again in Venice, and ever since I’ve wanted to go back and spend some quality time writing there.
- Take my mom to Machu Picchu. I wrote about this dream of mine in my Mother’s Day blog, but the one place my mom has ALWAYS wanted to go was Machu Picchu. It’s not hard to see why, it’s a fascinating and beautiful place steeped in history. Access is starting to become more limited, so I want this dream to come true sooner than the others! She deserves it for all she has done, and it’s always been something she’s wanted to do. She made my dreams come true, I want to make her’s.
- See the Northern Lights. Who doesn’t want to see these? I haven’t really been up to the arctic circle at all. The only time I’ve spent that far north was Iceland’s airport a ridiculous six times (yet I never left the airport ;__; ). I just want to see the sky painted in a way even Bob Ross couldn’t imagine.
- Explore the northern Scottish islands; Orkney and Shetland. If you’ve read The Once and Future King then you know Orkney plays a big role in the home of Mordred, Gawain, and those lot. It’s also just held his fascination for me. Photos make it seem like it’s the edge of the world, and I’m a bit fan of slightly cold wet places? There’s such stunning beauty up there on these small but rugged island. Also ponies. Shetland ponies.
Traveling wasn’t something I ever had the opportunity to do growing up. With no family vacations or school trips to set a bar, my travel dreams are fairly modest and mostly related to my childhood obsessions. In most cases I like to wing travel or vacations, but there are a few things I’d really like to do.
- Visit the park from the opening of The Labyrinth – During my time studying in England I unfortunately didn’t find the time to cross this one off my list. I know where the park is down to map coordinates; I’m just waiting for the opportune moment to meet the Goblin King.
- Eat an olive off a tree in Greece – I suppose it’s better to say pickle my own olives, knowing raw olives are inedibly bitter. Let’s be real though – I’d try one. Or maybe just lick one (I can’t even handle the bitterness of coffee). How bad could they be if the gods and goddesses ate them so freely?
- Run around the streets of Shibuya – I was one of many to grow up mesmerized when the Kingdom Hearts franchise debuted in 2002. In the long wait between the original Kingdom Hearts and its first sequel, I ended up interested in a smaller title also by Square called “The World Ends With You.” Anyone familiar with the Tokyo cityscape would soon realize the game pretty accurately maps the Shibuya ward. I briefly passed through Shibuya once to see a musical, but I’d love to walk through and see all of the hotspots from the game in real life.
- Go to Disney (land or world) – Yep. Never been. Ever.
My travel dreams? Well….
- Explore the pyramids of Egypt – There was a time when I wanted to be an archeologist in Egypt. When I was a child I threw myself into studying ancient Egyptian, I read everything I could about the culture, food and rituals. And while I know it’s cliche, and likely very touristy, I still want to see them for myself. To just…stand in a place where these ancient people once lived and look at something that should have been impossible to do, but still happened.
- Climb the Mayan ruins- I am by heritage Mexican, my blood can be traced back to these people. While I grew up in a mexican household and am familiar with a lot of our customs, I never really learned much about my ancestors. I read about them in history books at school, but I want to got here and learn everything I can about it. It’s my past, a part of who I am and I need to see it.
- Snorkel through the great barrier reef- Sadly this reef is dying rapidly . I’ve always looked at many picture books with photos of it when it was in it’s full glory. I want to see this place before it all fades away.
- Pretend to be a Hobbit in New Zealand- The Hobbit series was the first long chapter book series that I ever read, and it quickly became a lifetime favourite read, so when I found out it was all being made into films (starting out with Lord of the Rings) I was thrilled. But what really blew my mind was learning that you can go to New Zealand and VISIT HOBBITON AND PRANCE AROUND. Major nerd goal right here and I dream of the day I get to do it.
- Touch the Seven Seas- I have adored the tales of pirates since as long as I could remember. Treasure Island is one of my most favourite stories in the world, I love the tales of swash buckling pirates braving the seven seas for treasure and adventures. While I know the stories are highly romanticised and there are more than seven seas, I still want to at least touch the seven major seas.
- Travel to Space- Deep in my soul I am a traveler, I want to see everything my world has to offer and then some. So why not want to see beyond earth and go to space? Be it to the moon, Mars or beyond our own galaxy, my ultimate travel dream is to explore space: The final frontier.
So what are your travel dreams?