A Muggle's Guide to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter: Magical Shopping! How To Dress Like a Wizard (& Witch!)

By in Alston Stephanus, cosplay, Florida, Harry Potter, Orlando, The Wizarding World of Harry Potter, Travel Tips, Universal Studios, USA
0 0 0 33 comments

Throughout the whole Muggle’s Guide to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter series, we’ve received a number of comments on our outfits. Alston and I tend to dress up in some fashion whenever we go to parks, be it as Mickey and Minnie Mouse, BB8 & R2D2 a la 1920s, or a very casual Minnie Mouse and White Rabbit (it was REALLY hot in Shanghai). It adds an extra layer of fun to an already delightful experience. So when we were going to Universal and Alston found out I didn’t have wizarding robes, he put that very first on our list to rectify. After all, how could you not go to Hogwarts and not be dressed as a wizard??

Basically, this shall be a quick buying guide for all of those looking to get the most out of your magical experience at Universal’s two Harry Potter parks!

A Muggle's Guide to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter: How To Dress Like a Wizard (& Witch!)

The first thing you need to figure out though, before you buy ANYTHING, is what house are you in? For those not so much in the know (or want a refresher… or are just as nerdy as we are let’s be real…) there are four houses at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry: Gryffindor, Ravenclaw, Hufflepuff, and Slytherin. Each one has specific characteristics like bravery (Gryffindor), cleverness (Ravenclaw), kindness (Hufflepuff), and cunning (Slytherin), and you’ll find people are very particular about what House they’re in. Fans even go so far as to categorize other characters (like Sherlock Holmes for example) and debate over which house they’d be in. Ravenclaw or Slytherin? We’ll let you fight it out.

It’s serious stuff, okay?

You can take the JK Rowling approved sorting quiz on Pottermore (though you’ll need to make an account) or take one of the literally thousands of sorting quizzes online. Or, you know, just pick one (psssst, pick Ravenclaw!).

snapshot_3

Once you have your House chosen, it’s time to pick out some swag.

ROBES

The staple of any witch or wizard! House robes not only let you show your house pride, but also immediately identify you as a Hogwarts students (or an employee of The Wizarding World of Harry Potter as we would find out throughout the day… so many people thought we worked there, Alston especially).

alstonollivanders

You can pick out robes at a few stores in the park, but we recommend going to Madam Malkin’s Robes for all Occasions in Diagon Alley to get your duds, as that’s what they do in the books.

diagonalley_buyingrobe

Official robes will set you back a cool $110. There are Quidditch Robes as well for fans of the magical game of basketball meets broomsticks, and those will run you $150. You can, of course, also buy them online through the Universal Store.

WANDS

Now you can’t be a proper witch or wizard without a wand.

The first thing to understand about the wands at The Wizarding World of Harry Potter is that there are four types. Yes, FOUR types of wands! First off there’s replica wands from the films or original bespoke wands. Yes, you can run around with Harry Potter or Hermione Granger’s wand (as well as Lord Voldemort for those feeling particularly… evil). There’s a plethora to choose from and all are happily on display. Or you can choose an original wand from Ollivander’s, choosing from six different wood types.

Secondly there are interactive wands and non-interactive wands.

Scattered around The Wizarding World of Harry Potter are interactive magical station where, if you move your (interactive) wand in a certain way, something will happen. This can be anything from armor assembling itself to a skeleton coming to life and mimicking your moves in Knockturn Alley (it’s super cool). The interactive wands are $47.95 and non-interactive wands are $39.95.

For the full immersive experience, I’d have to recommend getting the interactive wands. Not only is it useful in all the Harry Potter parks across the world (LA, Orlando, and Osaka), but it adds a whole new dimension to your visit. Diagon Alley is fun to look around, but without the wand, you won’t be doing a ton there. It’s an entire bundle of attractions you get by using it, plus it lets you believe for a little while that you are indeed magical (what sensors, what are you talking about, this is MAGIC not SCIENCE… let me believe, okay?)

doingmagic-alston

doingmagic-alston2

It takes awhile to get the hang of it, but once you do… it’s rather neat.

There are two places you can buy your wands in Diagon Alley (you can also pick them up in Hogsmeade, but if you’re gonna do this, might as well do it right). The classic choice is Ollivander’s, which is a towering and wonky building filed to the brim with wands for every taste.

diagonalley_buyingwands

You can also go to Gregorovitch’s, which is a smaller shop and only has the replica wands for sale.

gregorovitch

So you’ve got your robe and you’ve got your wand… you’ve done some magic and you’re feeling pretty gosh darn wizardly. What’s next?

Well… just go wander, really! You can head into Weasley’s Wizard’s Wheezes to get some practical jokes, Honeydukes for some chocolate frogs and Bertie Bott’s Every Flavour Beans, and then make your way to Hogwarts like the good student you are (you may even get to cut in line!).

Regardless, you’re going to have a great time no matter how you dress… but take it from us, you’ll enjoy that extra bit of magic that comes along with cosplaying.

diagonalley_buyingrobe2

A Muggle’s Guide to The Wizarding World of Harry Potter is a multi-part series, so make sure to subscribe and follow us on social media to know when the next part is published!

Pin me!

| London & King’s Cross | Diagon Alley | Hogsmeade | Hogwarts & The Forbidden Journey | How To Dress Like a Wizard (& Witch!) |

mugglesguidecircle_png_wiz2_sm

A Muggle’s Guide to The Wizarding World of Harry Potter is part of the Disney Adventures collaboration between The Nerdventurists and  Alston Stephanus of Alston Stephanus Accessories. Check him out on Instagram & his company!

Photos and video by Noriko Sugiura.

1. Pingback: A Muggle’s Guide to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter: Hogwarts and The Forbidden Journey – The Nerdventurists

2. Pingback: A Muggle’s Guide to The Wizarding World of Harry Potter: London & King’s Cross – The Nerdventurists

3. Pingback: A Muggle’s Guide to The Wizarding World of Harry Potter: Hogsmeade – The Nerdventurists

• shahera5
    • February 22, 2017

I still remember putting together a Hermione Granger costume for my 9 year old daughter for a book release at Border’s Books here in Overland Park. This was before there was any official merchandise easily available. I found a black long lady’s jacket and altered it a bit, and glued gold silk ribbon stripes onto a red tie so she was proper for Gryffindor. I think I was able to find a Hogwarts patch from somewhere and a stick made her wand. Was very pleased when she won the Hermione look a like contest.

4. Reply

Haha! This is so great! The Wizarding World of Harry Potter is most definitely on my bucket list. As a certified Harry Potter dork, I re-read the entire series probably around once a year (it’s absurd). Thanks for this post, as it just breathed new life into my desire to go!

• Joe
    • February 23, 2017

I did the quiz thing in Pottermore after some kids in my school made me do it, and it turns out I’m in Ravenclaw House. Not so sure if cleverness is a trait I would associate with myself! Dressing up Potter-style is undoubtedly a lot of fun – I can tell you guys are having a blast here 🙂

5. Reply

I am a die hard potterhead. I have so many different Harry potter costumes. I loved the hogwarts attire. But my personal favorite is Tonks’ costume.

6. Reply

Woah! All this sounds like so much fun to get dressed up in a particular fashion. A great way to enjoy and experience the places you visit. We were not aware of the different type of the wands nor did we have an idea that we could actually buy these stuff out somewhere. We can only imagine how much fun it must have been walking in those costumes in the park and watch those amazed faces of passerby.

• Marlene Marques
    • February 28, 2017

You can definitely call this dressing the part 😉 Have already followed your last post on this adventure and also was wondering how you got to dress up like the characters. Thanks for showing all the cool shops!

• neha
    • February 28, 2017

This is so interesting . I had read your earlier article about visiting this place. But didn’t know that you could as well dress like harry potter and use wands and all. Definitely it will add to the excitement particularly for children and teens. I would like to definitely take my daughter here when she grows up

7. Reply

The Wizarding World of Harry Potter is my favorite place to visit in Universal Orlando. I loved your GIF pictures and you’ve covered all the points of the Muggle World series. I’ve never bought robes but I do have my Gryffindor T-shirt and scarf!

8. Reply

This is every child’s dream. You pictures are nice and creative with Gifs. And those costumes, hope to visit one day

9. Reply

This is so cool! I am not a huge fan of Harry Potter but I did enjoy the movies and the books. I guess that for fans it’s such an amazing event to visit the studios and dressing up is a very important part of the process. You two look adorable and I can see how much fun you had there! 🙂

10. Reply

Even though I went to the Wizarding world in Universal Orlando, I never dressed for the part. 110$ sounds like a lot for me but looks like you guys had fun. I would have chosen Gryfindor. The interactive wands look pretty neat. Didn’t know about that.

11. Reply

Wow! Wonderful guide. I’m obsessed with Harry Potter’s world, so it was a great pleasure to read it. You look fantastic in this outfit 🙂

12. WOW! What an experience! Whee…that glee on you face made me grin with joy too. This is so so cool and I am honestly so jealous! <3

• travellingslacker
    • March 1, 2017

Like the GIFs at the end. Very scary… he he…
    Lots of nerd friends in my group would love this post. As for myself, I have never read Potter, only watched the films. I probably should.

13. Reply

I am one of those few who haven’t read a single Harry Potter book 😛 but the costume part I definitely will enjoy. Kids here try these in their own way. So they will surely enjoy this post.

14. Reply

You looked like you were having too much fun! On the nerdy scale that was definitely a 10 .. fab photos and loved the videos too. ~~ Jay @rovingjay

• Jess
    • March 1, 2017

OMG this is amazing! I’m off to London with my niece (on her first overseas trip from Australia) to see Harry Potter and the Cursed Child. We’ve made it mandatory for the family to dress the part!! Thanks for the tips 🙂

• chikonahoka
    • March 2, 2017

I just learned yesterday that the Harry Potter tour is *the* top attraction of the UK. Yep, presumably beating the likes of Buckingham Palace, Big Ben, etc. LOL

P.S. My patronus is a badger. :p

• Tais
    • March 2, 2017

So cool to visit the place wearing the Harry Potter outfitters, just makes the whole experience even more fun!

15. Reply

I don’t know what rock I have been living under, but I have just starting hearing about this place. My kids are 5,7,9…what age do you think is best for a visit. My 9 yo has read the books and the younger ones have seen the movies. Thanks.

• robyncspice
    • March 2, 2017

Oh my gosh yes! When I saw this post I got super excited. I WANT A WAND!! Also a scarf, how I’d love a Gryffindor scarf. Looks like you guys are having a blast!

• travelerettenyc
    • March 2, 2017

I stopped reading this article halfway through to get sorted on Pottermore and I got Gryffindor! I was disappointed because I thought I’d be Ravenclaw. I really enjoyed reading this guide and now I want to go to the Wizarding World to get my interactive wand and robe.

16. Reply

Haha, this is so wonderfully nerdy! Thank you so much for sharing 😀 I would love to go do this – I just wish it wasn’t so expensive to get all geared up! I love the silly gifs by the way!

• Dane
    • March 2, 2017

Haha you guys look perfect! As I was reading I saw the prices of the wands and was like umm what but can you actually twirl one of the interactive wands and have things move? Am I understanding this right? I am deffs all about that if that is the case!

17. Reply

I love that you get so into all your visits and dress accordingly. I have been to Harry Potter World in England and thought it was amazing – there was such a queue for the butter beer and people were buying wands in their dozens. JK Rowling is a genius.

18. Reply

This is so cool! I didn’t realise that theres a harry potter part in China! Also cool gifs, how did you put those on your blog? The robes look so good haha, I don’t think I could spend that much money on them though!

19. Reply

Being a potterhead myself, I cannot but envy you right now. I so want to do all that you have described…..Wah!!! 🙁 I want a wand too and that too Olivanders.

20. Reply

So cool! Wanna do that too! Must be so much fun 🙂 🙂

21. Reply

I am not a harry potter fan but still, this post interests me so much. It will be a real fun getting dressed up like your favorite characters, especially the children will have lots of fun.

22. Reply

I think I’m crying! The Potterhead in me feels all hopeful again, someday soon I’ll go fulfill my Hogwarts dream with all the rituals in place! <3 Great post you guys!

Parampara-Parichay